Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sly Fox - A Cunning Disposition

I don’t think anyone ever had to teach me how to lie or how to tell a believable story about something that never happened. I’ve just always been able to do it, and do it well. I’m not exactly sure how many lies I’ve gotten away with in my time. I’m sure my first attempts were overlooked as my parents weren’t the type to correct that kind of behavior, instead I think they almost enjoyed seeing what excuse I would come up with to explain an action or how something had broken.
These skills and appreciation for such truth-telling ambiguity immediately connected me to books and literature. I was always disappointed to think that the events happening in each story I read had not actually occurred in the real world and that every action, every character, every line of dialogue was fiction, a figment of someone else’s imagination. The stories were told with such an attention to detail, with such veracity that I almost didn’t want to live in the real world where Nancy Drew wasn’t out there solving mysteries, where Matilda Wormwood wasn’t devouring books and denouncing the television her unbearable parents coveted so much, or where Harriet the Spy wasn’t watching and documenting anything and everything in what I always thought (and still think) would be one of the most interesting notebooks to read through.
            I’ve always loved the lives of other people, I think of almost all of my friends as characters and their actions as calculated movements to shift or manipulate the plot. The plot of course being our day-to-day life living here in Omaha, Nebraska.  We are all in our mid-twenties and are beginning to feel the pangs of adult debt and responsibility while juggling our attempts to develop in our “careers” and enjoying a busy social life. So what do we do for kicks around these parts? Well, that’s what we’ll explore in each and every post. It’s an incredibly exciting time to be in this town in the Midwest. Being born and raised here, I never thought this city to continue to surprise me the way it does, whether it’s a restaurant that has been in the community for 20 years but is brand new to me or the recent development of small business entrepreneurs occupying and rejuvenating the North Downtown area of Omaha.
            Midtown is our stomping ground.  It’s an area of nostalgia, of antiquated buildings, and more recently developed areas (Hello Midtown Crossing). Growing up here in Omaha, my family would drive around the neighborhoods surrounding my current residence and my parents would point out the homes of their childhood friends, reminiscing and wondering where they all were today. I imagined their world - hopping a bus to go to the Brandeis store downtown, riding bikes out to Center Mall – a wholesome time where they drank milk and cookies and their parents all smoked and drank from 5 p.m. on. To be honest, I’ve always wanted to live in that Omaha.
            But I can settle for the Omaha of 2012. At least I better since that’s the purpose of all of this, to bring out the best of Omaha and the best frankly in each other. Now, the Fox, much like myself, is calm, calculated, and always scheming. And while the Fox’s intent may be to use standard character defects such as ego, arrogance, or greed as a means to a usually selfish ends, my intentions here are not as devious. Or at least that’s what I’ll tell you for now.

-Sly Fox


No comments:

Post a Comment