Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wise Owl, or the Quest to Get Wise

Alan Alda once said:

“Be as smart as you can, but remember that it is always better to be wise than to be smart.”

(Side comment: Let me be honest, I totally googled “quotes about being wise” because I needed some inspiration. But I do trust Alan Alda’s advice because after all, he was on M*A*S*H AND he was the host of Scientific American Frontiers. So yeah, I think he knows his shit.)

I guess what that quote means to me is that to possess knowledge of life, real life, will always be better than possessing all the facts in the world. I think that this quote does apply to me as a 20-something that has just started to experience real life in the past few years. I WILL take your words to heart, Alan Alda, and will especially remember them when I’m playing Trivial Pursuit and can’t think of an answer. So I’m Wise Owl and I plan on using this blog to pass along the wisdom, truth, beauty, fun, and sometimes ridiculousness that I come across in my life here in Omaha, Nebraska.

One definition of wise (taken from dictionary.com) is:

Slang. informed; in the know: You’re wise, so why not give us the low-down?

And the low-down is what I/we plan to give. I have lived in Omaha for most of my life and have many fond  memories of growing up here that include going to Peony Park and feeding the ducks at Gene Leahy Mall as a kid, to cruising Memorial Park and hitting the Midnight Movie at the Dundee Theatre as a teen, and to now, enjoying Omaha’s nightlife. But I don’t know that I am truly experiencing my city to the fullest and I am using this blog to instill some accountability upon myself to get to the myriad of events that are available to Omahans. I WILL get wise and then I will share my experiences with you, not as an expert but as an appreciator and I hope it inspires someone to get themselves “wise”.

To give you an idea about who I am, I offer these fun facts:

A while ago a friend asked me what three non-essentials I would not want to live my life without, and my response was:
1.) cheese
2.) fiction
3.) pop music

I have recurring dreams about tornados and hot air balloons. Other loves include, my crazy dog, Oliver, whisky, bright colors, and friends. These are some trivial things I am wise to about myself. But as Mr. Alda said… “it is always better to be wise than to be smart.” 

Dodge Street commute


No comments:

Post a Comment