For the first time in weeks, WO + SF have no concrete plans this weekend and it feels... weird. Don't be too worried though, we will absolutely come up with some shenanigans to get ourselves into and report back come next week! I mean, have you SEEN the forecast for this weekend? High of 89 on Saturday, high of 91 on Sunday. Holy shit, when does the pool open? Though we're not quite sure what we'll get up to this weekend, we have rounded up some ideas. As our loooong, and busy work weeks wind down, Wise Owl + Sly Fox and crew are gettin' wound up for the weekend!
FRIDAY March 30
- The Omaha Roller Girls have a game against the Dakota City Demolition Crew at the Mid-America Center! WO + SF both know from experience that these games are great fun and, more often than not, a little bit brutal. Go see these tough bitches shove each other around! (Side note: if Wise Owl was a Roller Girl, her alias would totally be Kerry Jonestown Massacre.)
- Jean-Luc Godard's film Weekend opens at Film Streams as part of their series "World Cinema Revivals: A Celebration of Film Preservation." It's only there for a week so be sure to get down there before you miss out!
- Sadly, Fish Fry season is coming to an end, folks! Check out the Omaha World Herald's Fish Fry Map for your final two weeks of delectable fried fish and get thee to a church.
- So, Wise Owl has jukebox credits on her MyTunes app at both Krug Park and Old Dundee Bar. Therefore, the crew can take over either bar and have their own soundtrack for the night!
- Get some culture and go to the Strange Machine Poetry Reading. Listen to four poets read their work downtown at The New BLK.
- Oh yeah, I guess March Madness is still going on. Wise Owl filled out a bracket and actually has 3 out of the 4 Final Four right for her work competition! She doesn't actually watch the games or anything, but checks the score AFTERWARDS to see how her bracket is faring. She likes winning shit, okay? If you are unlike Wise Owl and want to actually watch the games, every single goddamn bar in Omaha will be showing them. But you can also check out this list that the OWH rounded up for the best bars in town to hit up to watch the games.
- Midtown's newest restaurant J. Coco just opened March 14th! Located in the old Wohlner's location on Leavenworth, both J. Coco and Legend Comics have revamped the building to house their businesses. While we haven't visited J. Coco yet, the menu looks like a cross between La Buvette and Lot 2. And by that we mean, it looks amazingly delicious.
- Have canine companions like we do? Get those guys out for some exercise at one of Omaha's dog parks! We're so lucky that the Hanscom Dog Park opened up last fall as it is minutes away from our homes. Live out west? Check out Hefflinger Dog Park!
- Given the forecast high of 89 degrees, it is absolutely porch/patio drinking weather. Hit up your own, or go to some of our favorites: Mr. Toad's, La Buvette, Nicola's, and Rose & Crown.
- Holy shit, it's April! The first quarter of the year has come and gone in the blink of an eye. It's April Fool's Day, you fools, so go pull some pranks on your pals.
- Sly Fox got to enjoy Lot 2's brunch last weekend and her raving about it made Wise Owl want to go real bad. Biscuits and gravy, we're coming for you!
- Wise Owl usually spends Sunday afternoons and evenings over at her parent's house. She gets to watch cable television, have her dog watched, and enjoy a delicious homemade meal. After dinner, she watches Once Upon a Time, The Worst Cook in America, and Iron Chef America with her mom. This weekend they're getting even crazier and going to Kohl's and maybe even Costco. You gotta love parents.