Thursday, May 24, 2012

South Omaha: A Thrifter's Paradise

Omaha, unfortunately, is still a pretty segregated city. It's a topic I won't get into too much here, but if you live here, you know it. I grew up in West Omaha which is a very sheltered area of town. Once I had a car, I would explore this city and everything it had to offer. Walking around in the Old Market, checking out the happenings on 10th and Martha street, reading at Memorial Park, but my FAVORITE non-West Omaha activity was visiting South Omaha and all of their incredible thrift stores. I would park on 24th Street and wonder around to all of the stores. At this time in my life I was obsessed with printed t-shirts. I would buy YMCA shirts, band polos, and other random discarded event marking shirts. My friend had a serger so we would bring all of our loot back to her house and sew up the sides of the shirts so they fit us better (Holy shit Omaha, even in 2003 we were a fat city. I can't tell you how many XXL t-shirts I had to take in). 


Now, at the age of 25 I've felt a calling to go back to that era. This past weekend Cooper and I put our sifting goggles on and headed down to South O to see if we could find anything interesting. Here are a few pictures of what we found...
This Thrift World used to be up the street and this was a Catholic thrift store (I honestly can't remember which one). Now, it's a bit smaller, but there's still plenty to find. 






These next few pictures come from The Odd Lot Store which is Cooper's favorite store in town. You can find car  oil, bug spray, toys, knives, really everything you would ever not want to buy in one convenient place.


Hologram Religious Art






Cooper bought nunchucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment