Monday, June 25, 2012

Web Wilderness / Branching Out

What a relaxing weekend! We took a break from our normal activity fueled plans and spent the weekend lounging around, watching HBO GO and enjoying this hot hot heat by taking our pups on a few walks. Can you believe it's almost July?! We certainly can't. Summer always goes by way too fast and I always find myself feeling like I never enjoyed it as much as I should have by taking advantage of outdoor activities and vacations. I really shouldn't think this way, it's a little unhealthy. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself to smell the roses. I've got a pretty good life. 

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little burnt out at work right now. Each day the temperature rises, the sun shines brighter and I can just smell summer freedom in the air. Walking into my office building every day becomes a very depressing action. At least we have a vacation up to Minneapolis to look forward to. Just one more week and I'll be free!!

Enough complaining, here's a look at some interesting stuff on the internet to help combat your Monday blues. 

  • The term Manic Pixie Dream Girl was coined by a film critic after he viewed Elizabethtown and ever since then, female characters from Natalie Portman in Garden State to Kate Hudson in Almost Famous have been considered as static, quirky characters whose presence is needed solely to act as a catalyst for a hopelessly lost male character. Now, while I can't exactly get behind this stock character type, there are a shit load of movies (movies I enjoy) which utilize this device. Film isn't the only art form subject to the Manic Pixie Dream Girl conundrum, here are 10 examples in literature. Now, just don't go falling in love with these girls. That would be way to cliche. 
  • Both Kerry and I used to religiously use Live Journal as a way to interact in the world of the internet. We know you're not surprised by that. Live Journal is still around, even though the bloggers and tumblrs of the world have become more popular. Have you ever thought of a book from your past, but for the life of you couldn't remember what the book was called or who wrote it? Well here's an entire Live Journal dedicated to figuring out those literary mysteries. While these entries aren't as dirty as real Missed Connections, they're still pretty great. 
  • Growing up, my family would gather around the TV promptly at 7 pm every Sunday to watch the latest episode of The Simpsons. It's a show that's very close to my heart, because there's nothing I enjoy more in this life than laughing with my family. The Simpsons is a show with something for everyone and for me, there were a lot of funny references to books and authors. Here's a visual history of all of those moments
  • If you can't tell already, we LOVE diner food. It's comforting, never truly that disappointing, and if nothing else, diner's are GREAT places to do some people watching. Photographer Stephen Shore documented his diner outings and here's the evidence aptly named Cheap Food and Proud Waitresses
  • With the release of Moonrise Kingdom quickly approaching, there has been a ton off Wes Anderson reminiscing (Yeah, we watched Darjeeling Limited this week ourselves). Anderson creates worlds which are so detailed, characters which are so flawed yet helplessly lovable and laughable in their actions and problems, it's no wonder there's an entire online store selling Wes Anderson A - Z character posters. We do have to laugh, there's a total misprint on K - Klaus Daimler - he's from Life Aquatic NOT Darjeeling Limited!! Amateurs I tell ya...
  • Gilmore Girls is the charming television series with fast dialogue and obscure pop culture references. Love it or hate it, have you ever wondered what the fuck they were talking about? Here's an entire website dissecting each reference throughout the entire series.
  • And finally, nothing cheers us up more than sweet, adorable doggies. We dare you not to want to reach in and pet these personality filled pets


Speaking of adorable pups, Bebop got a haircut this weekend to help with this dreaded heat we've been enjoying. Want to follow us on Instagram? Meghan is @tropicoffrancis while KJ is @kerryjones We want to see what you all are doing too!

No comments:

Post a Comment