It's official, it's the WEEEEEEKEEEEEND. They always play a clip stating just that on 106.9 on Fridays and then it repeats and repeats, over and over in my head. It's the weekend. This whole week has been a hot one and the weekend promises the same. The weekend also promises lots of fun in Omaha and we've hand picked some of the best, but certainly not the only, options. As the work week winds down, Wise Owl + Sly Fox and crew are getting wound up for the weekend!
FRIDAY June 29
- If you don't already know about it, you either live in a cave or you haven't driven by Memorial Park in the past three days. The biggest event going on tonight is definitely Omaha's annual free concert at Memorial Park, followed by a fireworks show. This year's headliner is Huey Lewis and the News and the fireworks show is always pretty great. Let's just hope the show doesn't get rained out!
- Finally, it's the moment we've all been waiting for... Moonrise Kingdom has hit Omaha and is playing exclusively at Film Streams starting today. We're thinking about going on Saturday afternoon to attempt to try to avoid the crowds.
- Huey Lewis isn't the only show going on tonight. Oh, no. Chicago is playing at the Stir Concert Cove. Hopefully you got tickets, because it's sold out. UUVVWWZ is also playing a free show as part of the Maha showcase at Slowdown!
SATURDAY June 30
- Everyone loves a parade, right? Check out the Pride Parade and Festival, going on all day today at Aksarben's Stinson Park!
- After a day of parading and festival attending, go dance your asses of at House of Loom for the Pride after party!
- Be one of the first to check out Benson's newest restaurant, Mantra Bar & Grill. The owner also own's Taxi's, which already has our taste buds' approval, so we expect nothing but deliciousness.
- It's been in Omaha since May, but somehow slipped under our radar. Mindbender Mansion at the Durham Museum is a giant, interactive brainteaser.
- We can't even believe it's already July and that the first half of the year is over. Celebrate by having A Wilde Time at the Castle. Oscar Wilde that is. Joslyn Castles celebrates Oscar Wilde, one of my favorites, the entire month of July with a variety of events, starting today.
- Described as "is a combination of burlesque show, sideshow and straight-up circus", the Pretty Things Peepshow is performing at House of Loom. Yes, we do want to see some sword swallowing on a Sunday.
- Finally, with just two days til the holiday, take a break, laze around, and get wound back up on Wednesday to celebrate 'Merica.