Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vegetarian Realness - Tortilla Lasanga

I'm an extremely picker eater. I always have been, and likely I always will be. To me, meat is just not appetizing. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll eat the shit out of some bacon or a really good hamburger, but meats like chicken and all fish literally make my stomach turn. I certainly wish it weren't so. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to go out to eat and not be able to enjoy food like everyone else. Trust me, I've tried to get over these aversions but time and time again, I just can't seem to do it. 

In my adult years, I've been slowly making more of an effort to eat better. Let's face it, the days of eating Stovetop Stuffing for dinner and not gaining 10 pounds of fat are over (though they were great, thanks college). 

My friend gave me a subscription to Vegetarian Times for my birthday last year and while some of the recipes are a little out of my skill set, most of them can be achieved in less than 30 minutes.

Last Tuesday, we set out to make one of VT's easier recipes - Tortilla Lasagna which is surprisingly pretty diet friendly at just 226 calories per serving.

Here's what you need:

  • 8-inch fat-free flour tortillas'
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 Tbs. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. ancho chile powder
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • 2 cups strained tomatoes, such as Pomì, divided
  • 1 ½ cups cooked black beans, or 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (we actually used chickpeas and pinto beans because I was an idiot and forgot to pick up black beans)
  • 1 medium chayote, peeled and diced, or 2 medium zucchini, diced (1½ cups) (Here we used carrots because I really love carrots and Cooper has an aversion to cooked zucchini on the same level as my aversion to meat)
  • ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
  • 1 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
Putting the lasagna together..
Now for the cooking part:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast tortillas on 2 baking sheets in oven 5 minutes, or until light brown, turning once.
  2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in chili powder, ancho chile powder, and garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add 11/2 cups strained tomatoes, beans, chayote, corn, and 1/2 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. 
  3. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until chayote (or zucchini or carrots) are tender.
  4. Coat 2-inch-deep x 8-inch round baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup strained tomatoes in bottom of pan. Set 1 toasted tortilla in pan; top with 3/4 cup bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering 4 more times. Top with last tortilla, and spread remaining 1/4 cup strained tomatoes over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly and cheese has melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges.

And that's it!! We hope you enjoy a Meatless Monday next week with this recipe. If you are vegetarian, please feel free to comment with your favorite meatless eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment