Monday, July 23, 2012

Web Wilderness / Branching Out

I was thinking this weekend about the past and taking the time to revisit and enjoy memories of yore. This came about as I was perusing HBO GO (I don't have cable so I'm always on the look out of the best internet based TV outlets) and I saw that Can't Hardly Wait was one of the available movies to watch. Can you remember where you were and who you were with the first time you watched that movie? 

Sometimes we're so quick to move into the future, we forget about where we came from and who we used to be. I remember being so passionate about everything when I was in middle school and high school. I loved experiencing places, music and movies for the first time and taking pieces from these experiences that I enjoyed the most with me, as part of my identity of who I wanted to be. I've been feeling a little stifled lately, like I've already done it all. Summer especially is supposed to be about getting out there, trying new things and reinventing yourself. Unfortunately, this goddamn heat has totally thrown a wrench in most of those plans for me. Yeah, I'm kind of a baby and don't like to go out and canoe down the Niobrara when it's 105 degrees outside or even go for a walk with Bebop on the Field Club trail. 

As we go into this week, I want to be more ready to learn and look at  everything in a new perspective. I want to challenge myself to break out of my routine and do something good. I want to stay positive and be more like I was in the past - passionate, inquisitive and observant. Of course, Monday's are the most difficult days to get something like this started. So if you need to take another day to relax before the week gets going, here are a few links to help you distract yourself from your 9 - 5 day: 

  • I'm sure you guys are a little sick of us posting stuff about books, authors and literature in general, but we just can't help ourselves. Here's a post where a six year-old was told to describe pieces of classic literature like Animal Farm based on the book's cover. Yes, hilarity ensues. 
  • Speaking of looking into your past and defining your future, here are 30 things every woman should have and know by 30. How many items have you accomplished? 
  • Joss Whedon is one of my favorite television writers/directors. A nerdy ex-boyfriend got me into shows like Firefly and while I may have been dismissive of these suggestions before, I would definitely recommend that anyone watch Firefly today. The characters are well drawn out and the situations they find themselves in are always exciting and full of tension. I mean come on, Joss Whedon essentially created an entire new world. Here are his top ten writing tips, which I have printed out and hanging in my office now. 
  • It's back to school time for many and this time of year always makes me a little nostalgic. I used to absolutely love purchasing new folders, notebooks, pens, and highlighters. As you get older, shopping for school supplies becomes less joyful and once you're out of school entirely, well you don't buy school supplies anymore, rather you search for a job. Of course in this economic climate, finding a stable, full-time position in the field of your study is essentially unheard of. People have even started dubbing this generation Generation Screwed. Nice, right? Well, luckily the search for self and career has been a subject for many movies, the best of are collected together here
  • There's no denying it, I LOVE Larry David and his show Curb Your Enthusiasm. I see a lot of myself in Larry David's character and well, I just think he's extremely comical and entertaining. Jerry Seinfeld is back with a new web series - Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and Larry David was his first guest. Here's a link to watch the whole thing. Can I just tell you how funny I think it is that Larry doesn't like to eat "hot" things for lunch?
  • Home decorating in my opinion is one of the most fun, but most frustrating undertakings. When you move as much as I have in the past five years, really settling into a home and making it your own seems kind of like a moot point. When I do make the investment in a home, I'm definitely going to take a lot of time deciding the style and overall effect I want to portray. This set of stylish homes from stylish people is truly inspiriting to me. I think the woman from J. Crew's house is my favorite. 
  • Hey it's hot out, why not try this new hairstyle to pull your hair back for optimum coolness?
Finally, nothing gets you quite revved up for the week like a good hip hop song. Take a listen here and dance around you office/living room/bedroom in the dorkiest way possible to this - we promise it will make you feel better about yourself: 

No comments:

Post a Comment