Thursday, October 18, 2012

So Here We Are...Goodbye 25

The subject of age is one that has never bothered me too much. Some women lie about their age, others playfully evade the question. For me, age has always been an allusion. Never a true indicator of who you are or what you've done. Sure, as we age we gain more experiences and a better sense of self, but still year after year we feel the need to make some commemorative effort to celebrate our accomplishments. This year I'm not in too much of a celebrating mood. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my life here in Omaha. I just don't believe that our ages have a whole lot to do with how we choose to spend our lives. I've had many experiences where people have been surprised by how old (or rather young) I am (this could be due to the fact that my lovely Cooper is six years older than me). So why do we focus so much on how one measly year shapes us? What's the big deal with turning a year older? 

Now, don't get me wrong, I sure do like the attention October 18th brings me. And not only do I get this day to myself, but I share my birthday with two pretty amazing people - my dear friend Chris Mungin and Cooper's mother, Sue. 

So how am I spending my 26th birthday? By working of course!  Ha, other than that Cooper and I are heading over to Dixie Quick's for a bite to eat, then we'll probably end up at Brother's for some drinks with friends. A pretty low-key night, but absolutely perfect. 

On a side note, check out this awesome birthday present I got from my friend Sam in Austin. It combines three of my all-time favorite things - poetry, dogs, and Jimmy Stewart of course, which I've already written about here





No comments:

Post a Comment