Friday, October 5, 2012

Wind Down / Wound Up

It is now officially the 4th quarter of the year. (You know you have a big girl job when you start referring to quarters.) THAT IS INSANE! It's truly starting to feel like Fall with this crisp weather, the changing leaves, and layers of clothing we keep adding. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful time of year and I can actually stand being outside without suffering from heat stroke. The down side is that the days are getting shorter and that's always a bit of a shock to the system. With day light savings looming we challenge you to get out and about and enjoy our beautiful city before you go into hibernation mode. As usual, we've helped you out by gathering a list of the goings-on this weekend. As the work week winds down, WO + SF are getting wound up for the weekend!

FRIDAY October 5
  • He's the owner of a voice we all know and love and have laughed to on This American Life. Funny man Mike Birbiglia is in town tonight performing his one man show "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" at the beautiful Holland Center. 
  • I don't know about you but I've never actually seen an opera. Luckily Omaha is lucky enough to have La Traviata showing all weekend at the Orpheum. Why not dress up all fancy and try something new?
  • It is, of course, the first Friday of the month. We are very excited to attend Benson First Friday and to make things easy, they have created this little map of all the happenings. I'm even more excited as I will be attending as a bona fide Benson-ite. 
 SATURDAY October 6
  • There are officially two more weekends of Farmers' Markets left. Make sure you get down there to stock up cause you won't be able to go again until next May!
  • One of my favorite things my family does every fall is drive out to Smalls Fruit Farm in Iowa to pick apples. Farm fresh apples will make you never want to buy a store bought apple again and you just have to take advantage of them while they're in season. At Small's you can also sit down for a slice of homemade pie and sample their ciders, among other things. Then, when you get home with a bushel or two of apples you can whip up your favorite apple treat. I personally love to make apple crisp. 
  • Opening at the Joslyn today is the exhibit I've been most excited about in YEARS. In my mind this is a must see. The exhibit is called Under Pressure and features some of the greatest modern artists of all time. Plus admission is FREE on Saturdays from 10 am to noon!
  • Football, Huskers, blah, blah, blah. You know this song and dance. 
  • The Omaha World Herald recently wrote this article about our favorite West Omaha dive: The Rusty Nail. Yes, even West O has dive bars. Checking out a new spot is always fun and you have our informed recommendation.

SUNDAY October 7 
  • Sunday morning I will be walking in the Race for the Cure with my parents. You can register all the way up until the race starts so if you can still participate if you want! 
  • I'm hoping to talk my parents into some BRUNCH after we walk our 5 kilometers. I still very much want to try Mantra
  • I love chrysanthemums and Lauritzen Gardens is is putting on a whole festival dedicated to them. You can check out the indoor floral display and then walk the grounds of the gardens to explore the changing flora and fauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment