Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Wise Owl Flies North - The American Swedish Institute

Over the weekend I flew drove north to Minneapolis with my mom! We stayed with my aunt Denise and it was a nice little girls' weekend. We ate some great food and saw some cool things and Minneapolis is definitely a city I'd like to explore more of. One of the coolest things we did over the weekend was visit the American Swedish Institute. 
(photo from Wikipedia)

The museum is actually an old mansion called the Turnblad Mansion that was built in 1908 by a Swedish family that immigrated to the United States and clearly prospered here. This house was the closest thing to a castle that I've ever visited in the United States and was truly beautiful and incredibly well taken care of. Even better, right now the house is decorated for Christmas and had different rooms decorated in the style of different Nordic countries. 



The house had these beautiful Swedish tile stoves that were over 100 years old. I believe in all there were 11 of them throughout the house and they were all vastly different. 










The level of detail from the ceiling to the woodmark was amazing.





If you ever find yourself in Minneapolis I HIGHLY suggest visiting the American Swedish Institute. It's inexpensive, doesn't take very long, and is the closest thing to a European castle I've ever even heard of in the Midwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment