Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Xmas Baking - Chocolate Butterscotch Peanut Clusters

Candy making is a huge holiday tradition in my family. My grandma used to make huge batches of about a dozen different candies, and would make so much that she would start making them shortly after Thanksgiving. My grandma would then put the candy in tupperware and store them in the garage once it was cold enough. My grandma has six kids so she would send plates of candy to school for their teachers and work when they got older and with my grandpa to his office. She would take them to her holiday parties and cookie exchanges and of course, the family would snack on them through out the month of December.


When my grandma stopped making the Christmas candy, my mom and I took over the job. We narrowed the recipe selection down to our favorites, but still produce a fair amount of candy. These Chocolate Butterscotch Peanut Clusters are one of my favorites. They require just 4 ingredients, and are extremely easy to make.


  • Half a block of paraffin wax
  • One 12 oz bag of butterscotch chips
  • One 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 24 oz of dry roasted salted peanuts

Step 1: Melt the butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, and paraffin wax over a double boiler. I cut the half of paraffin block down into 4 smaller squares because the wax takes longer to melt than the chocolate. Also, I do not own an actual double boiler so I just used a metal bowl that fit into one of my pots without touching the bottom and that worked just fine.


Just keep this over medium heat until the wax is fully melted, stirring occasionally.


Step 2: Mix in your peanuts.


Mix until the peanuts are completely coated with the chocolate mixture.


Step 4: Use a spoon to drop the mixture onto wax paper. You can make these as big or as small as you'd like! I made these a little on the large size and still made about 50 clusters. I then put these in the freezer and/or fridge to speed up the cooling and hardening process.


And that's all, folks! Seriously, soo easy, and only took me about 35 minutes to make a batch of 50!


Oliver kept me company in the kitchen and, despite the fact that chocolate is poison to him, still drooled all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment