Thursday, January 24, 2013

Scouring & Devouring Omaha: M's Pub

Whenever my dad goes out of town on business trips (about two times a year) my mom and I get together for a girls' night and hit the town. Last Thursday we had the pleasure of eating dinner at M's Pub. Sadly, I had never been to M's Pub despite the fact that I have lived in Omaha since the age of 2, and my mom said she hadn't been there in a good decade as well. We were looking for somewhere "new" to go and settled on something that was new to me, and needed to be revisited by mom. It also seemed like a fitting time to visit M's as they recently celebrated their 40th anniversary.


(photo from yelp.com)
I really liked the atmosphere of M's - with the giant bar being the first thing you encounter - and the copious amount of mirrors that make the space feel so much bigger. As soon as we sat down my mom commented that the restaurant looked pretty much the same as it did 30 years ago. When our waitress came by my mom asked if they had a gluten free menu, which they did! Kudos to you, M's, a gluten free menu makes eating out with my mother much easier and she was pleased with the amount of choices she had, and even more pleased when the waitress informed her that all the specials for the night could be made gluten free as well.



Now, here's where I have to apologize because my food pictures are really lacking. It was one of those nights where I was eating dinner much later than usual and I was starving and we gulped down some food before I even thought to take a picture. Silly me. I CAN tell you that we started with the Thai lettuce wraps, which is something my mom and I like to try out at different places. M's had cubed grilled chicken, some sliced veggies, and two sauces to put on the wraps. My only caveat was that some of our lettuce was a bit limp, but by no means inedible. We definitely cleaned the plate.



For my entree, I ordered one of M's specialties - the Thai lahvosh. The lahvosh was amazing. My mom, the gluten free eater, thought it looked so good that she asked for a small bite just to try it. I am a big pan of Thai food and the tangy sauce on this lahvosh tasted like a bowl of Pad Thai. The cheese was gooey, the chicken was moist, and the veggies tasted fresh. My mother ordered the steelhead trout which was on special, and which you can sort of see at the top of my lahvosh picture. I did not take a picture of my mother's food because she laughed at me when I took a picture of my own food. My mom loved the trout, which came with vegetables and fingerling potatoes. She ate every last bite, while I took some lahvosh home to enjoy the next day. 


We also decided to go ahead and splurge and ordered the mocha fudge torte for dessert to split. This dark chocolate torte is flourless and thick and fudgy and rich and is topped with strawberry amaretto sauce. We were in heaven, it was love at first bite. I already want to go back and order some gluten laden items with someone else that my mom couldn't eat. If you haven't been to M's, don't be a fool like me, and wait 20 odd years to go! Go NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment