Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday Jams #2

Saturday morning, how I covet thee. You were created for warm cups of coffee over a laptop catching up on all the questionable TV I watch. That warm and humid weather yesterday was such a tease. Now I long for the day when the cold air has the hint of warmness promising the end of winter. But sadly it will likely be at least a few more months for that to come. I do have to say that 2013 has been treating us pretty damn well though, cold weather aside.

On an unrelated note, if you're looking for something to do tonight in our fair city, I would recommend heading up to Greego Coffee for this fiction/poetry reading. But let's get down to it, this weekend I'm listening to - 



Anna Calvi – "Jezebel"

When I first heard this jam it immediately reminded me of Edith Piaf (who incidentally made the song famous) and this Jack White Song. I love the strong drums in the beginning that keep rolling throughout the song leading up to the final calling of Jezebel. It's incredibly theatrical which can border tired, but Calvi's voice hurtles the listener beyond the dramatic to a more modern time.


Alt-J - "Tesselate"

Apparently this week is all about music from the UK for me. This song from Alt-J is off of their debut album which just came out this year. For me, it's sounds a little like Radiohead but the layering of the low bass line, drums and other electronic gadgetry is really what makes it work.  Oh, and triangles are my favorite shape too Alt-J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment