Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday Jams #12

Tomorrow we hit the open road and forgo a delicious Easter meal for Denver. I love taking trips and I don't do it nearly enough. The planning, the excitement building up to the departure, the inevitable bump in the road, there's nothing quite like it.

This week I'm dedicating our Saturday Jam session to Nick Cave, who is the reason we're going to Denver. I was so excited when I heard rumblings of a new Nick Cave album and that excitement was uncontainable once I saw he was coming to the states for a slew of shows. Cooper's birthday just happened to be the perfect excuse to plan this little trip and needless to say we've been looking forward to it since November. 




Nick Cave - "The Ship Song"
Most people think of Nick Cave as this hard punk rocker, but he's actually a really talented pianist. This song is proof of not only that but Cave's lyric ability. Whenever I listen to this song I can't help but stop what I'm doing, tune into his voice and get a little emotional. Plus, if Cooper and I ever get married, I'm pretty sure this would be a top song for our "first dance" 



Nick Cave - "Papa Won't Leave You Henry"
Ugh I just love this fucking song. Cave has such a gothic style and listening to it is like being in a Western. The chain gang style chanting has been done 1,001 ways, but here it's just so well used. 


Nick Cave - "Right Red Hand"
You might remember this song as being featured in a little movie called "Wild Things". Don't let that fool you, it's a great fucking song and one that you can hear for a mere dollar on the Brother's Lounge jukebox. 


Nick Cave - "The Mercy Seat"
Quintessential Nick Cave



The Birthday Party - "Junkyard"
So we're probably not going to hear this song at the show, but for those of you out there who may not be familiar with Nick Cave, he started in this awesome band called The Birthday Party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment