Friday, April 19, 2013

Wind Down / Wound Up

This recent dreary weather makes me want to curly up into a ball, swaddle myself in blankets, and... that's it. Basically this weather makes me feel like doing nothing. Luckily, the weekend is upon us, and the promises of being able to sleep in, see friends, and do whatever I want sure are perking me up. It's the freakin weekend, baby I'm about to have me some fun. Are you about to have you some fun, but you don't know what fun yet? Check out our weekly list of awesome Omaha activities below! As the work week winds down, WO+SF and crew are getting wound up for the weekend.

FRIDAY April 19
  •  The film No depicts a very interesting time in Chilean history. If you're not interested in history, go for the eye candy: Gael Garcia Bernal stars in the film, opening at Film Streams today.
  • Who knew a ukelele cover band existed? The Ukelele Orchestra Band of Great Britan plays at the Holland Performing Arts Center tonight. I actually think this sounds totally awesome and completely like anything I've ever seen myself.
  • Another cool, albeit smaller, show going on tonight is Talking Mountain, Life is Cool, and Pleasure Adapter at O'leaver's. At the very least you're guaranteed a cheap, stiff drink. What more do you want? 
SATURDAY April 20
  • This article in the OWH about Joe's Karting made me realize that I don't think I've ever been go-karting before! I have played plenty of Cruisin' USA in my time, but no real karting. This is something I definitely want to do soon!
  • It's Record Store Day! Although the places to buy records in Omaha seem to be slowly disappearing, there is still a great number of bands that are releasing new albums on this day. Check out this article to find out what stores are participating and what new releases you can expect to find!
  • It absolutely does NOT feel like it's time for Earth Day, but it is, my friends. Omaha's annual Earth Day celebration takes place today. There is a variety of activities and exhibits going on all day, check out their website for the schedule!
  • I know I post this event every month, but I can't help it, and I think you people deserve to feel the boogie I feel when I go to Benson Soul Society. Plus it's their one year anniversary!
SUNDAY April 21
  • Here's your chance to see a real live opera in Omaha! 'Bluebeard's Castle' is Opera Omaha's season finale show and is showing at the Orpheum this Friday and Sunday only. You can read here a little bit about the building of the show's set. 
  • If you've read our blog you can probably tell that we are big brunch afficionados. Luckily for us, Midtown has yet another place to brunch at BrixWe're definitely gonna have to give this one a go. 

 And for your entertainment, here's the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain playing the theme song to "Shaft":
 

No comments:

Post a Comment