Thursday, May 9, 2013

Homemade Oregano & Asiago Focaccia

If there's one thing I love in this world, it's bread. The only homemade bread I've really ever made is pizza dough, so when I saw this recipe I thought, well that looks simple enough. And it was. The only thing to keep in mind is the timing, bread isn't something you can just whip up in 15 minutes. Anytime you use yeast you can guarantee at least 1 1/2 rising time. The wait is totally worth it though. I can't believe how well the focaccia turned out. It's super herby which I LOVE. 


Oregano & Asiago Focaccia
  • 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing bowl
  • 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 Tbs. finely chopped oregano 
  • 2 Tbs. sugar
  • 1 ½ Tbs. salt
  • 1 ¼-oz. pkg. rapid-rise yeast
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • ½ cup grated Asiago cheese


Grease a mixing bowl with olive oil and add flour, oregano, sugar, salt, and yeast. Stir in 1 2/3 cups warm waterand continue to stir 2 minutes (dough will seem wet and sticky). 



Transfer to prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.



Line baking sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Stir cheese into dough. Now, I though there could honestly be more cheese in the mix, but that's just me. I like-a the cheese.


Transfer mixture to baking sheet and spread to sides of sheet with wet fingers. Brush top with 1 1/2 Tbs. roasted garlic olive oil, and sprinkle whole oregano leaves over top. Let rise 1 hour, or until dough is level with sides of pan. 


Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bottom. Cool 20 minutes on wire rack before cutting and serving. 


You can pair the focaccia with a little olive oil and pepper or marinara and additional cheese. Also, this recipe yields a ton of bread, so you'll be enjoying it for a while!! 


On Saturday Cooper was up at work at Pageturner's and he asked that I bring him a sandwich (or a sammy as he likes to put it). So once the focaccia was done I made him a feta, tomato, kale, balsamic vinegar and peppered sammy on whole wheat bread. I was a very busy bee that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment