Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Scouring & Devouring Omaha - Kitchen Table

One thing I love about Omaha is the amount of small, locally-owned, non-franchise restaurants that keep popping up. The newest addition to the Old Market scene is Kitchen Table. Based on a recent trip, I have every confidence I'll be eating dinner downtown often this summer. 



Located just south of the library downtown on 14th and Farnam, this farm-to-table restaurant will soon be raved about (I can just smell the review in the OWH). Their fresh approach to quick, but detailed sandwiches, salads and daily specials make Kitchen Table stand out as one of Omaha's most exciting new dining experiences.




We visited on a Wednesday evening, early because Kitchen Table is only open until 7 pm (8 pm starting this week).  There was so much great natural light in the building and the rustic decorating approach indicates a homey feeling but with a modern flair. The restaurant appears to seat about 26 on the floor in tables and a long-running bench, with a bar-seating option as well for single patrons. I imagine this place is pretty hoppin' during the lunch hours. Their quick service means the crowd turns over pretty regularly. Wine, beer, floats and a special cocktail fill out the rest of the menu. The wine and beer both adorably came out in small mason jars. Yet another smart option Kitchen Table offers is what they call a "business beer" which I believe is an 8 oz pour. Great for people who want to unwind with a small drink before returning to their days.  The giant chalkboard lists their menu standard items, but from the looks of the erasure marks, it changes often. Kitchen Table also offers two daily lunch and dinner specials and my favorite part of this dining experience - typically there is one vegetarian special offered. Some time ago I signed up for their mailing list which will email you a copy of their daily lunch and dinner specials, I recommend you do the same. 



On the night of our visit we kept to what was on their standard menu. Truthfully, the reason we chose this specific night for a visit is because I was intrigued in one of their daily specials - herbed ricotta meatballs - but once I saw meatloaf on the menu, I jumped at that. And I can honestly say it was one of the best meatloafs I've ever had. It was juicy, a little sweet, and gave that melt-in-your-mouth satisfaction. A little messy, but hey, that's kind of the point right? The meatloaf came on bread that was a little tough to get through. I ate the first half of my sandwich hand-held, but for the second half opted to take the top off of the sandwich and eat the rest with a fork. Carrots were a nice addition to the sandwich though, which also came with a side of spiced popcorn. 




Cooper opted for one of their salads which came with some of the most delicious mustard dressing. He really liked the portion size and the shredded lettuce. As his side he chose the deviled eggs, which could have been a little more flavorful, maybe a little cayenne pepper was needed?



Another great convenience Kitchen Table offers is online ordering! God, I wish I lived and/or worked downtown so badly because I would be here like everyday. All in all, we had a really lovely experience at Kitchen Table. It's lightness and fresh and ever-changing concepts and approach to food will make it really interesting to see them grow. And if you're ever looking for a new place to brunch at on Sundays - Kitchen Table has that covered too!

No comments:

Post a Comment