Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Squash!

Lately I have been devouring yellow squash and zucchini that I've picked up at our local Farmer's Market.

Since these squashes are currently in season you can find them for super cheap. They're even cheaper at the Farmer's Market, not to mention fresher. I've found them for as low as 75 cents each. For cooking I pick out the smaller squash. However, I have seen some pretty monster-sized squash, which I think would be better for baking. I wanted to share a few squash recipes I have Pinned and made.

First up is a a Squash Casserole from Simple Gourmet Cooking. I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. It was extra cheesy and the Ritz crackers on top added crunch and saltiness. Instead of using cayenne I just squirted some Sriracha in the mix.

Second is Potato, Squash, and Goat Cheese Gratin from The Kitchn. The actual recipe calls for only yellow squash but I made it with one yellow squash and one zucchini instead. I don't think I've ever said this before, but this recipe was life-changing. I swear, that is how GOOD this was. It's extremely easy to make but tastes like it came from a fancy restaurant. I added at least twice the amount of fresh basil it calls for and really loved the herb-y flavor. Plus, goat cheese!

Have squash but lacking other ingredients? A few weeks ago I thinly sliced zucchini and squash and then sauteed them with some olive oil until they were tender. I microwaved some rice then rolled up the veggies and rice in a spinach tortilla. Voila, dinner!

I hope these three squash recipes help you enjoy these delicious, seasonal veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment