Thursday, September 5, 2013

Family Ties

Sorry it's been a little quiet around these parts lately. Both Kerry and I have been taking some much needed time relaxing with our families. My brother's wedding was beautiful. When they recited their own vows to each other there wasn't a dry eye in the house. For a 10 year long relationship, this official ceremony was a long time coming. And to finally be able to have the ability to make that committment is such a special thing, and something my family never thought we would be able to see happen.

The judge who officiated the ceremony talked about how, after one month of the marriage law being passed, she had joined so many same-sex couples who had been together even longer than 10 years. She talked about how important events like this are to changing our stance on marriage. Attending these events means we get an opportunity to talk about the issue and how many people are affected by not having the ability to marry the one they love.

The siblings, including myself were all asked to do a reading. My eldest brother chose a passage from A Farewell to Arms and I chose the below poem from Pablo Neruda.
I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.
      

After the ceremony we all grabbed champagne and toasted the new couple. Each toast indicated how much these two were loved by everyone who was there. They also spoke to the variet of people in their lives who supported them throughout their 10 year relationship, and even before that. My dad's toast was last and of course once his voice cracked with emotion we all lost our shit. I mean, come on, how often do you see your dad cry? Of course they were tears of joy on a very special day that will live on in our memories forever....and in the below pictures from our trip. So cheers to the happy couple and to officially gaining a brother event though I always considered him as such.




I always love passing by the wind towers in Iowa




Cooper and I did brunch one day at Blackbird which was absolutely delicious and Cooper entertained me by making funny faces


Cooper and I clean up pretty well, no? 



Signing the marriage license! My dad signed as a witness







Aren't these two the cutest?! They got married barefoot and broke out their party pants for the occassion 

Oh, and ps my brother's wedding rings came from Costco, which is so them because they literally buy everything at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment