Happy turkey day! We hope your spending the day with your loved ones and gorging on stuffing, turkey, green bean casserole, rolls and lots of potatoes! Enjoy these next couple of days off and try to embrace your family's craziness, followed up by much needed time with your friends. And don't forget to say what you're thankful for! If you need an escape plan or just want to keep busy over the holiday weekend (we suggest avoiding the madness that is Black Friday) here's what's going on in this fair town of ours -
THURSDAY November 28th
- After you eat and nap off the food/wine, head downtown for the lighting of the Gene Leahy mall. It starts at six and be sure to dress warm and bring hot chocolate.
- They say Thanksgiving night is one of the busiest night for bars in the year. Gather a group of friends to commiserate how your quality family time went and what your crazy aunt/uncle did. We typically end up at Krug Park, but get there early so you can grab a table.
- Up at Pageturner's in Dundee you can check out Lincoln's Twinsmith play a small show. And it's free!
FRIDAY November 29th
- In grand traditions, there's a Husker game today. Head down to O'Leaver's to watch it, since half of the club roots for Iowa and the other half Nebraska, it should make for an interesting afternoon.
- Apparently Benson is jumping on the retail bandwagon and encouraging the neighborhood to dine, drink or buy in Benson. So go up there and support Green Friday!
- Tonight at the Slowdown catch Cure and Pixie cover bands - Fear of Ghosts and Surfer Rosa. These bands only play once a year, so take advantage!
SATURDAY November 30th
- Go out and shop Small Business Saturday! Tons of places around town are running specials. Scout, Paperdoll, Hoover Studio, Legend Comics, Le Quartier, Denim Saloon,
- Speaking of which, Hello Holiday is hosting an in-store event today from 11 - 7. Stop in and try on that dress you've been eyeing for months and finally INVEST IT IN.
- Another weekend, another awesome craft fair. This time it's at the Boiler Room Studio so go there and grab a homemade gift for someone on your holiday list!
SUNDAY December 1st
- Happy Jay Z day! Listen to The Black Album in its entirety before heading down to the show in Lincoln.
- I'm going to be a Dundee resident soon, so I better familiarize myself with the area. The Dundee Gallery is a place I've only visited once, during Dundee Day. I'm going to have to stop by today since they're hosting a holiday show!
- Head to Omaha Writer's Group this afternoon at 4 up at Petshop for a little writing and a little critiquing.
- It's gonna be a chilly one out there and by chilly I actually meant chili - O'Leaver's is hosting their annual chili cook-off today so if you haven't stuffed your face full of food enough this weekend, continue to eat, drink and be merry.
- That time of year is here again - Jake's Mustache Competition is today! Seriously, this event is always pretty fun and it's a great way to end that whole Movember whatever.
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!