Cheers to the weekend! It's been kind of a rough week, but with the snow comes a new season and a new chance to start over. An ending always means a new beginning and I can't wait to see what my new beginning has in store for me. We're spending this weekend in the comfort of our friends, over lots of good food and drink. Are you celebrating a pre-thanksgiving friendsgiving? We always like to take the bite of mandatory family-time with a grain of the family of our choosing. So while we're winding up to co-host Spanksgiving '13, here are some other Omaha happenings to keep you busy in this cold, cold weather.
FRIDAY November 22
- Looking for a good meal tonight? OWH just raved about the new Italian eatery, Avoli, located in Dundee in the old Travato's space. I dined here for my birthday last month, and it was absolutely delicious. I'm not sure how I missed the fact that they had gelato, but I guess that just means I'm going to have to go back to try it out. One recommendation that I will make is to go with a group of people. It's a family style restaurant so order a bunch of different items and share!
- Uh, how is the Cat Power show happening already?! It feels like it just got announced like two weeks ago?! This beautiful lady is playing at the Slowdown and here's hoping this time she won't cry (according to legend the first time she came through Omaha, she was heckled so badly she cried and ended the show early. ugh, we're the worst).
SATURDAY November 23
- Today marks our second annual Spanksgiving celebration! We'll be out all day making runs to the likes of Costco and Trader Joe's in preparation for the most wonderful day of the year. We can't wait to stuff our faces with all of the deliciousness our amazing friends are bringing to share. Check back next week to see how everything went!
- If crafting is your thing, you'll want to head south to the Bancroft Street Market for Omaha Craft Mafia's annual holiday market. Hand-made gifts are always the best so pick up some locally made goods for your family and friends! I mean, the name of the event is The Great Craftsby. It doesn't get any cuter than that.
- The Bitch is Back - Elton John is playing at the brand-new arena in Lincoln. Not many tickets are left, so if you want to catch this candle in the wind, you better jump on buying your tickets.
SUNDAY November 24
- If you're in the mood for music, head to O'Leaver's to watch our friend's band Goon Saloon sling some tunes.
- In case you haven't checked out Feature V guests of honor's new film Nebraska yet, head to Filmstreams as it's exclusively showing here and apparently it's the only film on their calendar.
- If you're looking to wind down with a drink tonight (or do a little Sunday Funday drinking) head to Hiro 88 downtown - or at the Railyard in Lincoln - for all-day happy hour. I went here last week and had the most delicious dirty vodka martini (picutred below). One thing that will definitely be coming back in my household is cocktail hour.