Tuesday, December 31, 2013

NY Resolutions - Wise Owl Edition

Like I said last year, I really don't like making New Year's resolutions. I think it's because I'm terrible at keeping them and then when I don't I feel like I let myself down. THIS year, I'm going to post my list somewhere visible in my home so I am constantly reminding myself about what I want to accomplish. I'll report back next year on how that went...




First let's see how I did on last year's resolutions that I completely forgot about by January 15th:
  • Follow through. I would say that I tried not to make promises I knew I wouldn't keep. That being said, I spent a good part of 2013 feeling physically awful so I was probably flakier than I've ever been because of that.
  • Make more food at home. This went terribly.
  • Save money. Well, I DID actually save money... and then I bought a house with it. Since I look at that as an investment, I'd say I did pretty well. I'm proud that I was able to buy my first house all on my own and of the work I've been able to put into it thus far. 


 So that brings us to this year's resolutions!

  •  Cook more meals at home. I'm keeping this one on the list because I really, really want to get better about this! I can cook a pretty damn good meal, too, I just get lazy about cooking when it's just for me. So maybe part of my resolution should be to cook for others as well! 



  •  Become more handy. What this means is to learn how to do things around the house. I'd like to learn how to change out an electrical outlet, use the tools that are in my tool box, drill some holes in some walls, caulk some shit, etc. As a homeowner you gotta know these things. 



  • Explore my city! Next time Meghan and I have a blog meeting I want use to brainstorm and make a huge list of all the restaurants, museums, bars, stores, etc. that we want to visit in Omaha. Then we can hang that list up and cross things off as we go. And of course we'll be sure to share our experiences with you guys! 



  • Volunteer somewhere. This is embarrassing, but I've never really volunteered anywhere save for the one day a year we were forced to in high school. And that's how I felt about it. Like I was forced to do it. One idea that comes to mind is volunteering at my grandmother's retirement community.


And that's all folks! When it comes to resolutions I think my best strategy to actually keep these goals is to keep 'em simple. Cheers to 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment