Alas the weekend is finally here! We are SO close to Christmas and I feel totally unprepared, but what's new about that? I feel a little lacking since we literally haven't posted any holiday-related items on the blog yet, but we're hoping to remedy that next week. Kerry has her Santa collection up and I grabbed my Christmas tree even though there are more important items to put away in my new apartment, priorities, am I right?
So here's hoping you have a relaxing, albeit fun weekend. There's plenty going on, so while the work week is winding down, WO + SF and crew are wound up for the weekend!
FRIDAY December 13th
- It's quite the spoooooky Friday the 13th. Tonight you can find me at O'Leaver's for what's going to be an awesome metal show. You know the old addage - when life gets you down, get your face melted off.
- Apparently there's a new music venue I was unaware of - Venue 51 down on what looks like 19th and St. Mary's. Could possibly be the old all-ages DIY space (for which the name is escaping me at this moment)? South Dakota natives Worried Mothers play here tonight with Snake Island! and Dereck Higgins
- If you don't feel like heading to a show, then go on down to Indian Oven's newly remodeled Speakeasy for a craft cocktail and a dark space to chat with some close friends.
- While you're in the area, stop by downtown's newest brewery and distillery - Borgata for their official grand opening! Tours of the facilities begin at 5, 7 & 9 pm.
- Get into the giving Christmas spirit down at House of Loom who is helping to bring in donations for Toys for Tots. All proceeds will go to the non-profit and if you bring a toy, your admission is free!
SATURDAY December 14th
- One of our favorite local Xmas-related events is tonight - Omahype is hosting their annual Holiday Rock & Shop. So head down to the Slowdown from 6 pm - Midnight to shop from awesome local vendors like Hello Holiday, Artifact Bags, Doe Eyed Designs, Emma Erickson, Lion's Mane Vintage, Saddle Creek Shop and Benson Soap Mill. How cool is it that we have SO MANY RAD LOCAL SHOPS! It's $5 to get in, but stick around to see All Young Girls Are Machine Guns, John Klemmensen & The Party, and Manic Pixie Dream Girls. Too bad they couldn't book Noah's Ark Was a Spaceship again this year...
- If you're looking for a change of scenery, might we suggest you head north to Alpine Inn for some cheap drinks, chicken and racoon watching? Since visiting for the first time around this time last year, methinks this bar will quickly become a winter tradition for our group of friends.
SUNDAY December 15th
- There's an ugly sweater run downtown today. Not sure why someone would pay $40 to run around in the cold in an ugly sweater, but I guess that's because I don't understand why anyone would want to run, anywhere #beinghealthyisgoodbutatwhatcost?
- Head to Petshop in Benson around 4 today for Writer's Group and then join the bunch for beer and pizza at Jake's following.
- If you want to keep your weekend buzz going, O'Leaver's is the spot again as they're hosting a tasting of High West whisky. I can attest that the double rye is prettay, prettay, prettay good while the campfire whisky does indeed, taste like campfire in case that's your thing.
Last night I was Kerry's "date" to her company's holiday party where they played a bunch of Price is Right games. It was a blast and while Kerry only won a quesadilla maker (by default) and no one thought to download the Price is Right music, we had a jolly ol' time. Also, I think Kerry's co-worker's face kind of perfectly sums up the night -