Tuesday, January 14, 2014

In My Room


This past Saturday I posted an entire album, Julie Ruin, the solo record from Bikini Kill front woman Kathleen Hanna. You know how there are times in your life when you feel like you just smash directly into something that feels so right? A case of being at the right place at the right time?  Finding this album was that collision for me. 

As I mentioned in Saturday's post, I recently went and saw The Punk Singer at its last showing at Filmstreams. Below is a peek at the film. It actually took a Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds to complete and what you see below is the promotional video from this campaign.  Obviously they raised the money to finish the movie, and the outcome is absolutely amazing.


In the film, Hanna briefly describes creating the entire Julie Ruin album alone in her bedroom, with the thought that other women would play the record alone in their rooms. Burnt out from her long stint with Bikini Kill, she decided it was time to do a personal project and make music by herself. You can really hear the intimate nature of this album in the song, Apt. #5.


The idea of women's and girl's bedrooms as these highly personal and classified domains isolated from the rest of society really hit close to home for me. When Hanna made that statement it suddenly clicked in my head, "That's exactly how it feels to be a woman." You have all of these feelings you're expected to keep from the rest of the world to avoid seeming too "emotional" and the one place your feel most comfortable (and most alone) expressing them is in your own bedroom. Even now at 27 I retreat to my bedroom to release my frustrations and annoyances to regain my composure, to re-balance my equilibrium. Women's and girl's bedrooms can be easily romanticized. I always think back to the Virgin Suicides and the idea of girls lounging around, listening to records, putting up posters of their crushes and writing in their diaries. These are rooms where secrets are kept and dreams and dreamt. They stand outside of patriarchy, outside of judgement.

A bedroom can also be the place where you feel most creative. I do the majority of my writing in bed or on my bedroom floor, I listen to music in here (and sometime dancing occurs). As children, "going to your room" may have been a form of punishment, but for me, I reveled in the solitude. A solitude I enjoy reveling now, especially since for the first time in my life, I'm living alone. 


















So sometime this week I recommend you hideaway in your bedroom. Seek its sanctuary and shelter and just be yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment