Thursday, January 2, 2014

Organizing Pretties

Moving means packing up your things, schlepping them to a new home and then trying to make sense of the mess once you arrive. Let's face it, even if you do try to organize while you're moving, everything gets jumbled in the process and what you're left with is a hodge-podge of boxes which you're now left to make sense of. But alas, as you unpack and find an acceptable place for your record collection (including that Wham! album you love), your books, your craft items, and your clothes, all seems right, nay, perfect. It usually takes time to get here and if you rush the process, you're left with inconvenient clutter.

My new apartment (and by new I mean I've been living here for about a month now) is slightly smaller than my last, but mostly it just feels that way because I lost a lot of built-in storage units and a garage/basement. I invested in a new dresser which I love because it's lower so I could arrange my jewelry in a way that I'd actually wear it. I may not have mentioned this before, but I used to work at a  custom jewelry store, aka a bead store. This means I have loads of jewelry from over the years that I made and/or invested in. Due to the shear amount of items I've collected, I wanted to spread out my accessories, including head bands and scarves, so I could easily do a once-over of the dresser-top and quickly pick items on the go. I do have some more jewerly stashed away in a dresser drawer, which I hope to take the time to rotate in and out throughout the year.

So here's a look at how the dresser stands today (the cookies are care of my downstairs neighbor and yes, they are as delicious as they look). We have my watch collection which surprisingly hasn't grown all year, necklaces from various places and from various friends (my favorites are from Goldsmith Silversmith), my ring from Sue Moon, a Princess Lasertron Headband from a Hello Holiday giveaway, and a knit bow from Inez Gill. Not a bad start, huh?





No comments:

Post a Comment