Tuesday, January 21, 2014

This Look's Chalk-ening

Let me start off this post with a little humble-brag: I know I shouldn't complain about having lovely, naturally colored hair, but sometimes it would be nice to switch it up a bit. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved being a redhead and I always will, but there's something a little monotonous about going your entire life with the same hair color. I've always wanted to dye my hair some wild color. I wish I could say this urge was due to some punk rock notion, but I grew up in the late 90's, early 00's where this was my inspiration to try something different. And I don't think that I'm alone here. 

Of course I could never pull the trigger on dyeing my hair. Especially at the expense of disappointing my parents (but trust me there were other times I achieved this in my adolescence). It wasn't until last year did I feel that itch again, that itch to try something different, when I discovered hair chalking. What an awesome way to put some temporary color in your hair without dyeing it! I've been meaning to write this post for the better part of a year, and when I saw this post, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use my hair chalk. 

I think that Beauty Department post I linked to above pretty much gives you all of the info you need to start chalking. Because my hair is partly dark and partly light, I do wet the chalk a little before I take it to my strands. While your hands and sink might become a bit messy, it's a mess that's extremely easy to clean up. 










While I styled some milk maid braids above, I've also chalked my hair before putting it in a big bun which is another great option. Sincerely, Kinsey also has some great styles too. 

What do you think of hair chalking?

No comments:

Post a Comment