For some restaurants in Omaha, their reputations proceed them. I don't think I can pinpoint the first time I ever tried Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob, but surely it was whilst I was intoxicated. I had heard stories about these fries that came with mayo and that you should eat with a small fork. The rest, is history.
Amsterdam gets it right with their simplicity. Especially, because let's face it, while their food is delicious sober, it's even more delicious after a few drinks. And the easier you can make it for bros coming over from Beer & Loathing to get some food in their stomachs before they call their moms for a ride home (I can honestly say I've seen this phenomenon happen on multiple occasions. I call it Carol hour because for some reason all of their moms are named Carol), the better.
My recommendations when at Amsterdam?
- It doesn't matter what you get, it will be good
- Eat your curry fries with the fork and definitely use the mayo they give you
- Spring from the hummus and feta which is just $.55 extra
- I like the herb sauce, but the garlic is good and the spicy is just that - spicy
- While the staff might look a little stone and/or like a bunch of dirtbags, they're nice kids who make good food
- If you take your order home, don't forget to put it away in the fridge before falling asleep because it will make a great meal the following day as well