Monday, May 26, 2014

Web Wilderness / Branching Out

Happy Memorial Day y'all! We're enjoying a whole lotta nothing today and we can only hope you're doing the same. If you find yourself with a cold beverage in hand and sweet corn in the other (or any BBQ'ed item really) then congrats, you've successfully enjoyed the holiday by our standards.

Alas, tomorrow we return to work and the memories of the leisurely time spent will pass. But don't worry, this just marks the beginning of summer. If you find yourself wanting a little distraction from your plans today, or maybe it's Tuesday and you're back in the office, here are some internet links to help you cope. 

  • Last week marked our city's annual non-profit fundraiser extravaganza Omaha Gives! I ended up donating to 8 causes including Omaha Girls Rock!, Film Streams, Nebraska Humane Society, inCOMMON, Hear Nebraska, The Union for Contemporary Arts, the Bemis Center, and Omaha Public Library Foundation. The gals over at Birdhouse designs really knocked themselves out this year though, teaming up with the guys over at Hutch and Omaha by Design, they transformed this bus stop into an incredible pop-up living room space. Kudos to everyone who worked on this project. What a success!
  • Eep! We're sooooo excited for Omaha's newest vegan venture to open next door to O'Leaver's - Modern Love. Run by the amazing Isa Chandra Moskowitz (can you believe she's here in Omaha?!) you can take a preview tour of the space here
  • Sia's video for her new single Chandelier is completey unforgettable. I have literally watched every day for the past week. Equally unforgettable is her live performance on Ellen featuring the same dancer in the video. Seriously, it's amazing!
  • I finally got around to watching Drinking Buddies (currently streaming on Netflix) and I loved it. After you watch it, I'm sure you'll be equally as excited as I am to check out his latest project
  • This woman is my new hero. She's currently the oldest, active National Park Ranger and her story is incredible. Be sure to listen to her interview when you follow the link. 
  • I don't know why, but I always crack up when Jimmy Kimmel has celebrities read mean tweets about themselves. Gary Oldman's reaction is priceless!
  • Read Megan Hunt's thoughts on how the landscape of education is evolving past the necessity of a four-year Bachelor's degree to something more and then try not to immediately go to Skillshare to see what other proficiencies you can master. 
  • Now, I'm not a mom or anything, but NPR's look at how mothers are choosing to share updates on their children (babies in particular) via social media is incredibly interesting. It's something I never particularly thought of before, but I do think it's something extremely important for every mom-to-be considers before she hits "post".
  • I'm pretty confident that Kerry would love everything on this list of pineapple goods. 
  • I guess it's nice to know everyone gets snubbed now and again. My most epic snub involved telling a drag king dressed like Prince what an amazing job he had done lip synching to Pussy Control. Like the real Prince probably would have done, he looked right at my and then turned away finding another conversation to participate in. 

A few weeks ago, I headed to Sweatshop in Benson to check out some seriously rad art by Tim Kerr. I'm totally obsessed with this Vivian Maier print.




No comments:

Post a Comment