Thursday, July 17, 2014

I Need a Hero (T-Shirt That Is)

I recently came into some good fortune which resulted in a little extra cash in my pocket. Of course, I put that money to good use by immediately heading down to Drastic Plastic to invest in a few band tees. 

Now, in my honest opinion, band tees should never have sleeves. Seriously, NEVER. There's something oddly freeing about shirking the confines of sleeves and rocking the sleeveless look. I love toeing that line between masculine and feminine styles, especially since I've always found myself on the tomboy side of it all. Tees have just always been my thing. I just love rocking a great pair of jeans, a comfy cotton tee and some tennis shoes. The older I get, the tougher it is to make this look work (darn you to hell business casual), so rather than buy crop tops from Forever 21 or whatever, I decided to take the DIY approach.

There are a few ways to cut up a tee of course. Personally, I like Katie's approach best. If you don't have access to a sewing machine, don't worry though. The more you wash your shirt the more it will conform into something more comfortable and more you. My biggest tip for cutting a tee is to 1) Make your cuts inside of the sleeve seam because you'll want that rolled look after you wash it, and 2) Just go for it. Seriously, if you fuck up the shirt, you have to be ok with it. I mean it's only a shirt after all. 




I like cutting off the bottom of my shirts too because I have a shorter torso. This can be a little trickier because you don't want to cut too much off right? Like, who wants to see that? Again I just really like the rolled effect it makes, especially because I'm someone who tends to tuck their shirts in. 

I also tried Lizzie's approach, but I still prefer the above way. I didn't feel like I had as much control the method below, but that could also be due to the fact that this was the first tee I had touched in some time. I might have just been a little rusty. 





And here's the finished result. Happy sleeveless summer y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment