Thursday, July 10, 2014

Scouring & Devouring Omaha: MULA Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria

Earlier this week, I asked Kerry if she wanted to go out to eat at the new Mexican place on Farnam Street, and when we finally met up on Tuesday night, she thought I was trying to trick her into going to Romeo's. Alas, there is a new Mexican place on Farnam Street, on 40th and Farnam to be exact, not to be confused with Nacho Typical Restaurant.

MULA Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria is just the latest and greatest to open in the newly renovated Blackstone District. I've always lived close to 40th and Farnam, so when I heard of all these amazing improvements being made to the neighborhood, I practically did a hurkey (mentally of course) in anticipation and excitement.




The interior of MULA is extremely warm and inviting. The staff, incredibly friendly. I was surprised by the size of the dining room. When I had driven by a few days earlier, I expected it to be much smaller than it actually was. The front of the restaurant is lined with tables and booths while the back has a few larger tables (which were pushed together as there was a large birthday party happening while we were there) and two and four tops. We sat at a somewhat wobbly table while we perused our menus.




We both decided to try the blanca sangria which was sweet, but definitely also packed a punch. I enjoy drinks where I can taste the alcohol (like the true whiskey drinker I am), especially when they are on the sweeter side. MULA has an extensive tequila menu which I'm very intrigued by since I've never been much of a tequila drinker. Clocking in around 5 pages, there's bound to be something for everyone. 








We really loved the decor of the restaurant including these three large light fixtures over the bar and these really lovely star lamps which lined the perimeter of the joint. In the next picture you can see the tequila cubbies - you see what I mean when I say they have a massive selection?



We started with some guacamole. There were four types to choose from so we opted for the pickled jalapeño which was extremely fresh and had a really lovely smoked chipotle taste to it in certain areas. The chips were fresh and salty - much like at Chipotle - and in an abundance. We ended up actually taking some chips home. 


I was craving a salad, so when I saw a take on the classic Caesar, I jumped on it. This salad was fantastic. Really fresh and the dressing divine. I loved the large leaves of Romaine (meaning I should probably try to eat like this at home more often). 


I also two Jackfruit al Pastor tacos. The jackfruit, pineapple, onions and cilantro. For being on the sweeter side, I was really surprised by how much I liked it. And coming in as the only vegetarian option on the menu, I of course had to try it. The size of them is pretty teeny tiny, but honestly with everything else on the table, it was pretty much the perfect amount of food.


Kerry got the Al Pastor torta, and yes, that's a fried egg on top (which you can add to any torta for $1.50). She also ordered a side of rice which you can bet I was trying to secretly (not so secretly) dig my own fork into.



Overall, we had a really good first experience at MULA. The food was flavorful and while it was a little on the expensive side (also we felt a little out of place because there are some hip looking people always eating here) we'd definitely go back.

Also, one of the convenient things about being in this area is that the also newly renovated Sullivan's is just across the street. Neither of us had never been to their old location (we're Brother's people) so we were pretty impressed, especially considering the last tenant was Cheater's who was notoriously closed down probably 4 years ago after a shooting incident. Yikes!






No comments:

Post a Comment