Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Some Summer Goals...

Summer is a season that seems to fly by without much thought other than BBQ-ing and hanging poolside. Remember when you were a kid in school and you always had to write that "What I did over summer break" essay right when you got returned? Well, I suppose this is my adult answer to that.
 
For me, this summer in particular has really gotten away from me. I've met a few basic goals, but I haven't felt very motivated or inspired as of late (probaby due to the fact that my dude/summer romance left for Kyrgyzstan about two and a half weeks ago and we still have 25 days to go until his return). I decided to turn my sour attitude upside down by setting some new summer goals for myself, and here they are...
  • Bring my bike down to my apartment and actually ride it / Take more pictures around town - I used to ride my bike everywhere in Lincoln and I really, really miss it. Omaha is definitely dominated by more hills, but hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?
  • Listen to more metal - Follow me over on Spotify (Meghan Francis) to see what I'm listening to. Already this summer has been the summer of Misfits and Danzig.
  • Finish "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - I picked up this book after my dude started reading it in Kyrgyzstan, and man is it loooooong. I still have about 400 pages left, but I'm hoping to knock that out over the course of the next three weeks.
  • Perfect making one type of bread and commit it to memory - I've always been a carb mongrel, but as of late, haven't really been enjoying eating bread because the store bought stuff is so bland. I want to be able to make a bread from scratch and without using a recipe. Any recipe recommendations out there?
  • Watch more sunsets - Duh. It's the little things in life that I enjoy the most and this one has really slipped through my fingers this summer.
  • Make a kale salad and dressing you actually like - Kale has always been an interesting ingrediant for me. I really like it when it's well done, i.e. Lot 2's amazing kale salad, but I want to now be able to do that for myself at home. This recipe looks mighty good.
  • Light more candles and incense in my apartment - I want to cultivate a more relaxing feeling around my apartment and I think this is just the ticket.
  • Use lavender essential oil on my pillow everynight before bed - Again, wanting to focus on relaxing more means getting a better night's rest. I used to use lavender essential oil a lot on my pillow, but recently fell out of this habit. It's about time to get back on it.
  • Attempt to grow crystals - Yes! A science project!
  • Go camping!
So there you have it. While I sometimes think goals can be a little dangerous, what if I never meet them? I do think it's worth giving yourself some direction, and making some promises to yourself, even if you break them later.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment