Thursday, August 21, 2014

Girls Be Dippin'

While some folks go to BBQ's for the grilled meats, I'm the type of weirdo who goes for the chips and dips. Seriously, if I had to draw out my personal food pyramid, the base of it would read "Chips & Dips" and it would probably take up more than half of said pyramid.

I'm a real class act y'all.

Recently, I've had the itch to up my dip game and I've been lucky enough to have a few opportunities present themselves in form of coming home celebrations and end of summer jams.

Then, when I came across this recipe for Creamy Black Bean Dip, I figured I had to try it because it looked so easy and delicious. What I discovered in the process is that I've been wasting a lot of money buying salsa when I could have just been making it at home - insert palm to forehead motion here.

Creamy Black Bean Dip
  • 15 ounces (one can) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese
  • 3 cloves garlic (or more if you're like me and lurve garlic)
  • 1/2 medium sized onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 3 whole tomatoes (or any tomatoes you have/like)
  • How ever many dashes of cayenne powder you like based on your spice preference
  • 1 lime
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Start by making salsa in a food processor. Pulse garlic, onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and juice from half the lime until blended but still chunky. You don't want this to be completely smooth. Pro-tip: Don't accidentally turn your food processor on before you plug it in, because your salsa will get blended a hell of a lot faster than you intended, and it won't be as chunky and you would like (or is this just me that this happens to?).


Transfer salsa to another bowl and throw the cream cheese, black beans, juice from the remaining half of lime, and cayenne into your food processor. Blend until smooth.




Stir (by hand) the salsa into the cream cheese mixture. Taste, and add salt and pepper to your liking. Serve chilled with lots of tortilla chips.


The next dip on my list was one I had been dreaming about since a co-worker of mine brought it into our annual Health and Wellness potluck. I know, having a big potluck to celebrate your health and wellness makes a lot of sense, right? Well, at least the recipe below has a lot of veggies in it and if you wanted to substitute the sour cream for Greek yogurt, I bet it could end up being less than 10 calories per quarter cup serving.

Crisp Cucumber Salsa
  • 2 cups finely chopped seeded peeled cucumber
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomato
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
  • 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 4-1/2 tsp minced fresh cilantro
  • 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
  • 1/4 c reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1-1/2 tsp lime juice
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp seasoned salt

In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, lemon juice, lime juice, cumin and seasoned salt. Pour over cucumber mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately with chips.





No comments:

Post a Comment