Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Of Cabbages and Kings

Here in Nebraska, we're not ones to shy away from cabbage - I mean, we're home of the Runza after all. So as you can imagine, coleslaw is a pretty common side dish around these parts, especially during these hot summer, BBQ heavy months.

Like I implied in this previous post, I've been trying to up my BBQ side dish game, so when I came across this recipe for spicy coleslaw that didn't contain mayo, I thought, "Hey, why not try it?". I ended up being very pleased with the results. Offering a "healthier" option during what can be a pretty carb  heavyand empty calorie ridden situation is always something I can get behind.

Spicy Coleslaw
  • 3 T balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 1/8 cup honey
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup cilantro (I added a bit of parsley as I had some leftover from another dish)
  • 1 red cabbage shredded
  • 3 green onions sliced thin
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced thin
  • 1 peeled and shredded carrot


Combine vinegar, lime juice, oil, honey, salt and cilantro in a large bowl and whisk together.


Add remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine and leave out for 30 minutes at room temp




Chill until ready to serve (best same day) but can be kept for two additional days if needed. Keep that last part in mind in case you want to spend a few dinners grilling out while only making one side. PS this coleslaw is great on a hamburger, turkey burger, or veggie burger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment