Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tex-Meg: I in Carcosa Now

On my last day in Austin, I ventured out for yet another heat and sweat induced outdoor adventure. First we headed to Zilker botanical garden, which was…interesting. We wandered around in a bit of a haze a first. The paths were difficult to follow and finding actual plants in bloom seemed to be a bigger feat than we thought it would be. Once we heard the sound of running water, we maneuvered our way there to find some really beautiful streams and waterfalls. Like I mentioned before, this feeling of isolation, combined with the heat and some odd sights made me feel like I was in a bizarre alternate universe (aka Carcosa).

I felt more at ease during our walk around the rest of Zilker Park. When the temperature rose to about 90 degrees, I found myself looking very longingly at Barton Springs Pool, which was already buzzing with folks cooling off. The streams were filled with people on kayaks, some were working out, some playing with their dogs, and some were just taking a load off. As we crossed one of the bridge, this amazing folk music poured out from underneath us. Even after we got to the other side, the source of the music was hidden by some thick brush. I imagine this area is fairly popular among those looking to live without responsibility or materials things. 

For what it's worth, it was a pretty swell (and sweltering) way to end my time in Austin. Equal parts odd and beautiful, it turned out to be a trip I wouldn't be forgetting anytime soon. 























No comments:

Post a Comment