Monday, September 1, 2014

Thoughts at the End of Summer

Happy Labor Day y'all! Today is a day that is often considered as a mile marker for the end of summer.  However, for me, I feel like I'm in the throes of the season as I'm finally on a summer vacation in Austin, TX. And a much needed vacation at that!  

At the end of each season, I tend to experience an equal mixture of sadness for the time past and moments missed along with an excitement for the upcoming change in weather and frenzied feeling of what could come next. It's interesting too, as we get older what the changes of the seasons mean to us. When we were in school, we based seasons and time on our school schedules, but now that we're full-time working gals, how and where do you base these judgments? How do you make the most of the time you do have?

I remember when I was a kid, wondering what it was like to be an adult and go to work everyday, even during the summer. I'd be at home on my summer break, calling my mom at work to ask her some dumb question like, "Where's that bread you just bought, I wanna make myself a sammich" and every time I hung up with her I had this pang of fear for the day I wouldn't be able to make my own schedule and be expected to be somewhere, even in the middle of a beautifully warm afternoon.

I suppose sometimes I'm guilty of looking down the wrong side of a telescope - where everything seems distant rather than nearer. Living in the moment is something that I try to do more in my day-to-day life, but I gain pleasure, motivation and relief spending time in the past and the future. Sure, sometimes my anxiety increases with those, "But good god, where did the time go!?" thoughts, but I feel like if I don't set expectations for myself and my time, then life will just cruise on by me, with me becoming none the wiser.  

Sure, some of our summer must-do's were put to the back-seat this year. We only made it to two Jazz on the Green's, I didn't grill as much as I wanted, I still need to make a trip to Brownville and I certainly didn't go on as many walks and bike rides as I had hoped, but I still spent more than enough time enjoying patio life and I did host a pretty all right lawn-party. I suppose there were just a lot of distractions this summer. I started off the season with some family events, then met a lovely man who promptly left for six weeks, so I was left to keep myself entertained in the meantime. Now that he's back I wish I could just press pause or get a summer redo. Isn't timing a funny thing?

Before the summer officially ends I do want to accomplish a very small list of things - 1) Grill hamburgers and corn one last time; 2) Camp at Indian Caves; 3) Visit the Antiquarium in Brownville; 4) Read on my porch as much as possible.

I think that's pretty doable no? What's on your end of summer list?



No comments:

Post a Comment