Thursday, October 23, 2014

Adventures in Weight Watchers

For almost two weeks now I've been a Weight Watchers convert. In this time I've lost a little over 5 pounds and not driven myself entirely crazy (I even ate Bronco's last week and still lost weight!).
Probably the most helpful part of doing the Weight Watchers program for me is tracking my food. This way I feel held more accountable for what goes in my body and it especially makes me plan my meals ahead of time. By and large (pun intended) my biggest (again pun) contributor to my weight gain has been the fact that when I get hungry, I get lazy. I just want to eat something that's quick and easy. There's practically no time for me to make something for myself that's remotely hungry before I rip someone's head off and/or pass out from exhaustion. Dramatic much? Yes, but it's literally what I feel like when those hunger pangs start to take over.
Slowly, I started planning meals. Lunches and dinners were pretty easy, but I've always been at a loss when it comes to breakfast. I've tried it all and pretty much hating everything except for biscuits and gravy or some sort of eggs benedict concoction lathered in Hollandaise sauce.
When I saw this recipe on Weight Watchers.com for healthy muffins, I was intrigued. One evening this week, I tried it out and so far, am very pleased to begin every morning with a muffin and some fat-free vanilla yogurt. It's a 3 point breakfast that typically keeps me filled until it's time to head off to lunch.
Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins
(this is a recipe for mini-muffins, but I make regular sized and multiplied my point count by 3)
Preheat oven to 375ΒΊF. Coat 36 mini muffin holes with cooking spray (use three 12-hole pans).
In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, milk, oats, vanilla extract and egg; set aside 5 minutes for oats to soften and then stir in banana.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into yogurt mixture to moisten ingredients (do not beat - the dough will be very thick). Reserve 1 tablespoon chips; stir in remaining chips.
Spoon batter by heaping tablespoons into prepared muffin holes; sprinkle each with a few reserved chocolate chips. Bake until golden brown and a tester inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 to 18 minutes. Yields 1 muffin per serving.















No comments:

Post a Comment