Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Personal Heaven - The Antiquarium

If you asked me what my heaven looked like, I would tell you that it's a bookstore. My heaven is a never-ending bookstore that smells of must and paper and coffee. It would be 1,000 stories high and there would be a big comfortable chair to sit in and read every 5 feet. There would be new books and old leather bound books, first editions and books on tape. The books would never get heavy as I carry them around and there are always people around to discuss them with. Yep, that pretty much sums up my heaven to a tee (oh, and I suppose there would be a lot of dogs around too).

When I was in high school, I found out that my heaven actually existed in the Old Market. It was only five stories high, but it smelled exactly like I thought heaven would smell. It even had walls that moved only to show more books underneath. I spent hours there. I could have spent days. I literally wanted to move in and live the rest of my life there. Truthfully, I still do.

A few weeks ago, I took a half day off from work and while sitting over a burger at Block 16, decided it was time to get out of town. With only a few hours to spare, I decided to spend them in my favorite place in the world - The Antiquarium.

Located now in historic Brownville, NE, The Antiquarium is just as expansive as it was in Omaha, albeit a little quieter. If you're familiar with The Antiquarium, then you're likely familiar with Tom, the owner who also resides in the establishment. He's always happy to see folks from Omaha and is known for his interesting math equations (i.e. discounts on books). So if you have a few hours to spare and would like to ascend to heaven, head on down to The Antiquarium for some book worship.
















We also stopped by another history house while in Brownville. Unfortunately, it wasn't open for tours, but isn't this house just beautiful?




No comments:

Post a Comment