Monday, January 19, 2015

In Rapture ((Week of Jan. 19))

  • 2015 is the year we refocus on supporting women, bringing to light the common issues we endure and agreeing to not accept them anymore, and to overall just being HBIC's. Our year started roughly when we were part of an incident occurring at Dundee Cork & Bottle which spiraled into this larger issue surrounding safe spaces in Omaha. Long story short (and leaving out lots of details that maybe I'll write down someday here), harassment and assault should not be accepted in local establishments and thanks to a lot of discussion, there are now more tools available to women and businesses when it comes with how to deal with these situations. We learned some very valuable lessons and have embraced a newly-found mental state where we don't put up with bad male behavior as a symptom of our lifestyle. 

  • One of our favorite stores - Hello Holiday - just started carrying one of my favorite brands, Stay Home Club. While I was in their Dundee store this weekend, I was the lucky first person to pick from their stock (sometimes I have the best timing). 

  • I definitely need to dedicate more time to catching the sunset/sunrises this winter
  • Patti Smith - "Gloria" Live Jools Holland 2007 “Jesus died for someone’s sins, but not mine”. I finished Patti Smith's memoir 'Just Kids' while I was in Mexico, and I can't tell you how inspiring it ended up being. Her prose was exactly the push I needed to refocus on process and creation. Read it if you ever get a chance (and then try not wanting to cut off all your hair like Keith Richards). 



  • I came across this acceptance speech given by Jack Nicholson at the 1999 Golden Globes this weekend and was reminded how he truly is the ultimate badass. Chinatown is on Netflix and methinks I'll be spending at least one night this week with J.J. and Evelyn. When that's done I'll bust out my copy of 1989's Batman and revel in his performance as the Joker (which completely terrified me as a kid).



No comments:

Post a Comment