Tuesday, July 28, 2015

You know what I’ve figured out (finally)? You can’t change small minded people. You can put logic in front of them and every time they’re going to choose the convenient path which is to live a life that is undiscovered. I’ve often said that some people shouldn’t engage in critical thinking and I truly believe that. For some ignorance is bliss. It’s just unfortunate that it’s the blissfully ignorant who like to project their unfounded ideas out into the world.
 
One thing that I’ve been trying to work on is to not let these baseless opinions anger me. To accept the fact that there are just some arrogant minds out there grasping at straws and calling it an opinion. It’s not just a matter of, ‘you have a different opinion than me and I don’t agree with it, so I’m mad’. What angers me is that more often than not, there’s a clear distinction between the life actually being lead and the 'opinion' in all its 'truth'. It makes not for an opinion, but simply an idea plucked from the universe that, with its nouns and verbs and wax poetic, transforms into an Almighty Truth.
 
I don’t need to hear the gospel according to you or God because I decided a long time ago I wasn’t going to live up to anyone’s expectations but my own. I also decided I wanted to engage in the larger world which is filled with infinite beauty and inequities that should make your skin crawl. Being part of the human experience means opening yourself up to be empathetic to someone else's plight. Unfortunately, small minded people have no capacity for empathy and they are equally unable to see past their selfishness.

All of this isn't to say I won't spar with the Almighty Truth Tellers on topics like feminism, gender constructs, racism, and how the language we use is problematic in creating an inclusive community. It is to say that when faced with the chutzpah of certain individuals, my expectation won't necessarily be to change their minds, but to at least try to peel back the thick rubber covering, even just a little bit, to let a glimpse of the light in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment