Wednesday, October 19, 2016

HI.

Yesterday I turned 30 years old.
Today I remembered how much I missed this.

The thing is, a lot has changed. 

My work at Planned Parenthood of the Heartland has changed me. It has opened me to face so many important realities and perceived shared values that build the foundation our surrounding communities, the challenges they're up against (including themselves sometimes), and the results that limits their youth's potential under the guise of 'protecting' them. I immersed myself in these new experiences. Protesters yelling at me about how I should be embarrassed to do the work I do, offering to find me a new job. I stood in a basement at a library in Shenandoah, IA with masses of people spouting misinformation, distrust and judgment at the people who were only trying to help their young people. I've heard women talk about their abortions (and without regret), about the long history of limiting women's access to basic reproductive health services. It's not always an easy job, but it's one I find great reward and growth doing. I am especially lucky to work with some truly exceptional people whose dedication to the improvement of the health and knowledge of their communities is astounding, especially in the face of adversity from some small-minded folks. 

In the midst of all of this work, this transition, I lost my enamoring relationship with this town. But it's time I fix that.

So hello again. How have you been?

No comments:

Post a Comment